What to Look for in an Adoption Agency
When choosing an adoption agency, there are important things to look for to ensure you are getting the best service and support for your adoption journey.
- Choosing an adoption agency is the first important decision you’ll make in your adoption journey.
- The adoption agency you work with help you create an adoption plan and find the perfect family for your child.
- The best adoption agencies have trusted and experienced professionals who support you every step of the way.
To get more information on how to choose an adoption agency, you can connect to a professional by filling out our free online contact form.
As you continue reading this guide on choosing an adoption agency, we’ll cover the five important steps of choosing an adoption agency that can provide you with the support and services you deserve.
First, here are the types of agencies to know.
Types of Adoption Agencies
There are many professionals involved with adoption. However, in general, there are three types of adoption agencies.
- Local Adoption Agencies: Local adoption agencies are licensed and regulated and provide prospective birth mothers and adoptive families services and adoption support. Most local agencies can offer the services needed to complete adoption but have smaller staff sizes and only complete placements regionally. That means you potentially have fewer adoption opportunities.
- National Adoption Agencies: National adoption agencies are licensed to complete adoptions in many states across the U.S. and can usually offer more in-house services, including 24/7 counseling and support from an experienced professional. National agencies also have a larger pool of waiting adoptive families, giving you a better chance of finding the perfect family.
- International Adoption Agencies: International agencies specialize in adopting children from other countries. However, laws have changed and become strict, making international adoptions far less common. Additionally, these agencies only work with adoptive families, not prospective birth mothers.
Here are the five steps for how to choose the right adoption agency.
How to Choose an Adoption Agency
Step 1: Choose a Local or National Agency
Feeling confident in choosing an adoption agency starts with knowing which type of adoption is right for you.
Many prospective birth mothers prefer a local adoption for reasons such as:
- Local convenience
- Wanting to adopt in the region
- Already know the adoptive family
- And more
Most local adoption agencies can provide the services needed to place a child for adoption safely and legally. However, they may not have as many adoption opportunities, and smaller staff sizes mean you may not receive the personal attention you need.
Working with a national agency gives you many advantages:
- 24/7 support and counseling services
- A Larger pool of available families
- In-house services to complete every step of the adoption process
- An adoption professional who can focus on your needs
- And more
Ultimately, choosing an adoption agency starts with deciding which type of adoption you want to pursue based on what you feel is most important.
Step 2: Find Agencies that Fit Your Needs
Whatever you decide, finding agencies that fit your adoption needs is the next crucial step in how to find the right adoption agency.
Google is likely your first source for searching agencies, but it’s important to note that you can’t fully rely on what you read online, which takes us to step three.
Step 3: Contact Agencies and Ask Questions
There are questions to ask when choosing an adoption agency. Knowing more about their services and how they help you place your child for adoption is the next crucial step.
Common questions to ask include:
- What kind of support, counseling and education do you provide?
- Can you provide an adoption professional who can focus on my journey?
- How many available adoptive families do you have?
- How do you screen the adoptive families?
- Do you offer financial assistance for living expenses?
- Are you licensed?
- Do you cover medical expenses and legal representation?
Those are just some of the types of questions to ask to determine if the agency you contact is right for you.
Your brave and selfless decision to give your child a chance at a life full of opportunity through adoption means you deserve to work with an agency that has your best interests in mind.
Step 4: Work with an Agency That Can Support Your Every Need
The most important thing to consider when choosing an adoption agency is whether the agency you’re considering can support your every need.
The adoption process can be challenging and involve complex emotions. Having support from a trained professional and access to services for every step of the process gives you the best chance at having the experience you want.
Remember, you can always learn more about the best way to choose an adoption agency by filling out this form to connect to a professional today.
Step 5: Choose an Agency and Start Your Adoption Journey
You’ve gone through the process of choosing an adoption agency. Now, it’s time to pick the best agency for you based on your needs and begin the life-changing adoption journey.
When working with the right agency, you’ll get to create a personalized adoption plan and begin your search for a family that meets your specific criteria.
In some cases, prospective birth mothers decide the agency they’re working with isn’t meeting their needs. In that case, you can talk to a professional who can help you find a different agency that can better support you.
You can also take this link to find more detailed guides for the different types of agencies and their services. Doing your research and working with a professional ensures that you choose the right agency for you.